Kadence Alan's Birth

My first pregnancy was a really great one. I vividly remember the morning that I found out I was pregnant with my first baby. I was woken by my bladder again. And I thought to myself, "This has happened a lot lately." When I thought about it more there were other symptoms that I'd never had before. Then I realized that I hadn't had a period in a while and it all hit me. I knew I was pregnant. I went to the nearest store and bought a test. I took two at home. Both were positive. I made an appointment with my doctor. He confirmed my pregnancy. It was a scary time for me. Phil and I were not married yet and I was unsure of the future. I called my sister and cried. She reassured me that everything was going to be ok and that I was going to be a great mom. After I calmed down and the shock wore off, excitement set in. Throughout my pregnancy I felt so healthy and I was amazed that my body was growing another human being. I was also amazed at the love I had for this little human that I had never met before.

 The night before I went into labor I made a big Mexican feast for Phil and I. There was homemade guacamole, my mom's Spanish rice, beans, taco meat, tomatoes, and my mom’s salsa. I had even fried my own own taco shells. It was delicious! And it took a lot of work. Later that night I went to bed feeling very tired and my stomach was a little off. I just thought that maybe it was indigestion from all that yummy food (I ate a lot).

Around 3 am I awoke to what felt like a balloon popping in my stomach. I got up to go to the bathroom. When I stood up from the toilet I thought, "Am I still peeing?" Then I realized that my bag of waters had broken. I got very excited and started calling for Phil, who had fallen asleep on the couch. So, there I am holding a towel between my legs and waddling to the bedroom while shouting Phil's name. The man sleeps like a rock. He woke up and came to sit with me while I called the midwife. She told me to try to lay back down and get some rest until contractions picked up. Well, that wasn't happening. I was on a roller coaster of emotions. After half an hour my contractions started and they felt strong. I called the midwife back and she told me to go ahead and meet her at the birth center. I was Group B Strep positive and she wanted to start antibiotics.

Phil and I called family members to let them know that baby was coming. Then we headed out the door. We decided to stop at Wal-Mart on the way because Phil needed extra shorts in case I wanted him to get in the tub with me. While we were walking through the store I would have to stop and breathe through contractions. As we were checking out our cashier asked me if I was in labor. When I told her yes she said that I was the second one that night. We laughed, then Phil and I headed on to the birth center.

When we got there we were greeted by a midwife and a midwifery student. My mother in law showed up soon after. She’d had three home births and I wanted her support. The midwife checked and I was at 4 or 5 cm, so she said we were staying and started the IV antibiotics. My contractions were getting stronger and I started tensing and saying "Ow!" The midwifery student encouraged me to release my jaw and say "Awwwww" instead. This really helped me to not tense up during contractions.

At this point my back was really hurting and I couldn't sit on the bed. I remember sitting on a birth ball and leaning on the bed while someone did counter pressure on my back. I decided that I wanted to get in the tub for some relief. It was prepared for me and I tried sitting in there for a while. I started feeling nauseous, so I got out. I hugged my mother in law and started crying and said I didn't want to do this anymore. Then I looked at Phil and said, "I hope you're happy with this baby because I'm never doing this again!" At my mother in law's prompting, Phil held me and we swayed during contractions. After a while I asked to go back in the tub. I remember asking my midwife, "I know I can't get an epidural here, but can I get some Tylenol or something?" She said, "Oh, honey that won't do anything for you right now." So, I went back to focusing on releasing my muscles during contractions.

 I sat on my knees and rested my head on my arms against the edge of the tub. Between contractions I fell asleep. It was quiet and peaceful and they encouraged me that I was doing well. Contractions picked up again and I felt the need to bear down. I told them I felt like pushing. It had only been a few hours and the midwife told me that it would probably be awhile longer. I asked her to check me. She did and I was at 10 cm.

The midwife asked if I wanted to move to the bed and I said no because I didn't think I would make it over there.  I got back on my knees and leaned against the edge of the tub because it felt like the best position to be in at the time. After a few pushes his head was born and they had me lay back. I thought I was done, but one more big push and he was out. They quickly unwrapped the cord from his neck and put him on my chest. I looked down at him in awe. Then I looked at Phil and his mom and they both had tears in their eyes. It was one of the most beautiful moments of my life. Kade was born at 8:54 am on November 13th (his due date).  He weighed 7 pounds 15 ounces. He was perfect. I still look back at his birth fondly. It was smooth, with no complications and I wouldn't change anything. Kade was a surprise. But, it turns out that he was the best surprise I could have ever asked for.


Krystle Holding Newborn Kade